Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ageism in Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13XkDnTMDVE

I found this video of Gina Gershon on CNN talking about ageism in hollywood. I find ageism in hollywood very interesting and I see it as a big problem. Actresses especially are always pressured to look younger, because being young is associated with beauty. She talks about how someone told her she should begin lying about her age or else she won't be getting parts in movies anymore. I think that is ridiculous and in the video she says that with all the makeup and special effects that they can make a person look any age and I agree with this. Roles in movies should not be based soley on age, they should based on talent.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I definitely agree that there is ageism in Hollywood. Like you said, actresses are expected to stay young looking and beautiful. Actors are even pressured as well! Make-up certainly makes a person look older or younger, but so many actresses get surgery to stay young looking. I just think it's crazy for older actresses to think that they won't get a part in a movie because they're too old for the part. If they're older, don't they have more experience? I totally agree with what you said about how roles should be based on talent rather than age. It's crazy, but ageism is certainly growing, especially in Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete